Did you know the average worker produces 10,000 sheets of paper each year? Living in a world of increasingly wireless networks and connected devices—from laptops to tablets, to smartphones and even smartwatches—many organizations, big to small, are surprisingly still dependent upon paper, including the technology and energy required to produce paper documents.
As we approach Earth Day, the day set aside each year to show support for environmental protection, worldwide, we want to share 5 tips to help you reduce the consumption of energy and materials required to produce paper documents.
1. Install a Managed Print Services Program
Many offices continue to operate with a fleet of single function devices such as printers, scanners or fax machines. Most often, these single-function devices can be replaced with multi-functional, or all-in-one, devices that print, scan and send/receive faxes.
2. Mandate Efficient Print Settings
Most modern multi-functional devices are equipped with control mechanisms, or are can be updated with software, to mandate efficient printing settings such as forced black and white printing, draft quality printing and two-sided printing. These print settings can immediately reduce the amount of consumables used to print documents.
3. Reduce Abandoned Prints with Secure Print Release
Statistics have shown that over 40% of printing is unnecessary, which is supported by other reports that one-in-five print outs is never picked up, left abandoned—which can also lead to compliance issues (but that’s another blog topic). Simple software installations that require a badge-swipe or code entry to release print jobs can reduce abandoned prints and wasted printing.
4. Implement Document Management
Electronic storage and retrieval of information is the ideal strategy to help reduce consumables and energy related to printing. Most office technology companies can assist in designing and implementing an effective document management strategy to ensure documents are stored, backed-up and easy to retrieve digitally.
5. Select Energy Efficient Equipment
Today’s office equipment, like most technology, continually improves to consume less energy, go to sleep when not in use for set periods of time and other features to help reduce your energy consumption. If your multifunctional devices are a bit aged, upgrade to save on energy costs.
Going green in your office is easier than you think. Your local office technology dealer can help you select the most energy and cost efficient equipment and software for your business.
Chastity Fox, Director of Advertising & Marketing
Chastity has more than 15 years of experience developing strategies, tactics and executing projects to help businesses grow. She is a digital marketing and technology enthusiast, leveraging this to boost productivity and move businesses forward. A graduate of MTSU (and also completed coursework at NYU), Chastity is a Tennessee native. She resides in Leiper’s Fork, a small town in Williamson County, Tennessee with husband, Brent, and Golden Retriever, Duke.
Every business has overhead expenses—coffee service in the break room, employee benefits, office space lease—that are easily identifiable and turnkey to put price tags on during the annual budgeting season. Then, there are the items that are not explicitly budgeted, but represent expenses that eat at a budget, causing small amounts to leak from the budget consistently through the year. Total Printing Costs is one of these expenses.
Gartner research tells us that total printing costs is the last unmanaged business expense for companies, although it accounts for between one and three percent of a company’s annual revenue. Increasingly organizations are implementing managed print services programs to identify, or define, total printing costs and take control of their printing costs, saving 30% or more annually.
Click here to download infographic.
5 Supplier Requirements to Optimize MPS Efficiencies
Managed Print Services, MPS, is an attractive way for organizations to gain visibility and control of their printing infrastructure and reduce costs. The question is, what do you need to look for in managed print companies? Companies have achieved as much as a 30% reduction in costs by using print management. The key to realizing the optimum efficiencies of a Managed Print Services program is selecting an effective MPS supply partner that does more than simply oversee your printing hardware.
5 Key Elements to Look for in a Managed Print Partner
1. Deep Knowledge & Proven Expertise
- Long-term, proven track record in implementing MPS programs.
- Team of highly skilled experts that work as a team to design, implement, manage, and continually improve your MPS program.
- Experience implementing and supporting MPS programs across large geographies, or that match the footprint of your business.
2. Expert Team of Consultants
- Experts should analyze your business upfront to plan an infrastructure with the right equipment and technology in the right places to match the needs of the organization.
- On-going monitoring and support for continual optimization of the MPS program.
- Team of experts should include areas such as multi-brand equipment specialists, training teams, certified service technicians, support desk specialists, supply specialists, document solutions experts, and fleet analysts.
- Expertly trained technicians that are manufacturer certified, with fast response times, access to spare parts, and equipped with the necessary resources to fix the problem on the first call.
3. Transparent Program & Agreement
- Ensure the agreement is clear with no hidden costs to your company.
- Service should include parts required for repairs. Some vendors will give you free service, if you buy the toner from them, but you still have to pay for parts required to perform the maintenance.
- All equipment should be included in the agreement, as some vendors require you to purchase all new equipment, from them, before they will cover the service/supplies.
4. Portfolio of Quality Products & Services
- Access to a variety of equipment from quality, reputable brands to best fit your needs.
- Training to ensure ample fleet of expertly trained field technicians to service your business.
- Supplies that are best suited for quality output and maximum efficiency of the equipment. At a minimum, OEM toner or compatible toners that are reliable, certified compatible and 100% post-tested for your equipment should be provided.
- Certified compatible equipment that has been benchmarked against OEM cartridge for print image quality, solid image density, resolution, toner, background haze, offsetting, ghosting and page yield is the minimum standard.
5. Flexibility for Continual Improvement
- Businesses, and their environments, change and you want a MPS partner that has scalability to change with the needs of your business.
- Continued efficiency in your program requires an MPS partner that can, and will, amend your agreements, as needed, without penalty, to adjust to your changing business needs.
Choose RJ Young for your Managed Print Services
RJ Young has deep knowledge and proven expertise which makes it a preferred Managed Print Services partner for trusted brands and organizations. There is no doubt there are many managed print companies, but a partner like RJ Young is committed to efficiently managing your print infrastructure while you manage your core business.
Start a conversation today with a Managed Print Service Specialist to see if Managed Print Services are right for you.